ATHENS -- Georgia head coach Mark Richt would not address Bacarri Rambo’s status on Monday after being asked if the junior safety was suspended for Saturday’s season opener.
“No, I’m not gonna address that,” Richt said. “At the appropriate time if anybody has anything like that I’ll let you know, though.”
The only player known to be suspended for the opener is junior tailback Carlton Thomas. Richt confirmed the suspension after it was reported in July.
Rambo has not been made available to the media so far this preseason. He was requested again Monday and not brought in for interviews.
He was considered a foregone conclusion to start for Georgia after starting every game last year and ranking second on the team in tackles. Athlon Magazine tabbed Rambo as a preseason second-team All-SEC pick for this season.
But Rambo has been demoted to second team and was not participating in the early portion of drills in Monday’s practice. Richt already said that Shawn Williams and Sanders Commings would be the first-team safeties.
Cornerback Branden Smith (foot) and tailback Richard Samuel (left quad) remain on the injured list, but the players and Richt are confident the pair of starters will play against Boise State.
Samuel said he went about half of practice but said he had “no doubt” he’d be able to play. Richt said Samuel was still day-to-day but since he was the projected starter his status could be determined as late as game time.
“I don’t know that it’ll go that far,” Richt said.
Smith, who also returns punts and could play some offense, didn’t practice at all, but he and his coach were also adamant that Smith would play.
“I’ll be out there Saturday ready to play,” Smith said.
Several other players who have missed recent practices were back out there Monday: Fullback Bruce Figgins, nose tackle John Jenkins, and receivers Marlon Brown and Malcolm Mitchell.